Asthma is a chronic disease of the airways of the lungs.There are things you can do to help manage asthma for you or your child. For example:
- Avoid things you know will worsen the asthma symptoms
- Create an asthma journal to track asthma symptoms and how often a fast-acting inhaler is used
- Talk to a healthcare provider and develop an Asthma Action Plan that is right for you
- Take the (for patients 12 years and older) or the (for patients 4 to 11 years). Share your results with your healthcare provider to determine if the current treatment plan is working or if it may be time for a change
*ASTHMA CONTROL TEST is a trademark of QualityMetric Incorporated.
†The Childhood Asthma Control Test was developed by GlaxoSmithKline.
Approved Uses for VENTOLIN HFA
VENTOLIN HFA is a prescription medicine used to treat or prevent bronchospasm in people 4 years of age and older with reversible obstructive airway disease. VENTOLIN HFA is also used to prevent exercise-induced bronchospasm (EIB) in patients 4 years of age and older. It is not known if VENTOLIN HFA is safe and effective in children under
4 years of age.
Important Safety Information About
VENTOLIN® HFA (albuterol sulfate) Inhalation Aerosol 90 mcg
- Do not use VENTOLIN HFA if you are allergic to albuterol sulfate or any of the ingredients in VENTOLIN HFA. If you have any questions or are not sure, you should ask your healthcare provider.
- Tell your healthcare provider about the medicines you take and about all of your medical conditions.
- Use VENTOLIN HFA exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- Do not increase your dose or take extra doses of VENTOLIN HFA without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- Get medical help right away if VENTOLIN HFA no longer helps your symptoms (like wheezing and trouble breathing), if your symptoms get worse, or if you need to use your inhaler more often.
- While you are using VENTOLIN HFA, use other inhaled medicines and asthma medicines only as directed by your healthcare provider.
- VENTOLIN HFA may cause serious side effects, including:
- worsening trouble breathing, coughing, and wheezing (paradoxical bronchospasm). If this happens, stop using VENTOLIN HFA and call your healthcare provider or get emergency help right away. This is more likely to happen with your first use of a new canister of medicine.
- heart problems, including faster heart rate and higher blood pressure.
- possible death in people with asthma who use too much VENTOLIN HFA.
- allergic reactions. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following symptoms of an allergic reaction:
- itchy skin
- swelling beneath your skin or in your throat
- worsening trouble breathing
- low potassium levels in your blood.
- worsening of other medical problems in people who also use
VENTOLIN HFA, including increases in blood sugar.
- Common side effects of VENTOLIN HFA include:
- your heart feels like it is pounding or racing (palpitations)
- chest pain
- fast heart rate
- sore throat
- runny nose