- Home Page
- About VENTOLIN HFA
- Risks and Side Effects
- Frequently Asked Questions
VENTOLIN HFA is a prescription inhaled medicine used to treat or prevent bronchospasm in people aged 4 years and older with reversible obstructive airway disease. VENTOLIN HFA is also used to prevent exercise–induced bronchospasm (EIB) in patients aged 4 years and older. It is not known if VENTOLIN HFA is safe and effective in children younger than 4 years of age.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
- Do not use VENTOLIN HFA if you are allergic to albuterol sulfate or any of the ingredients in VENTOLIN HFA. If you have any questions or are not sure, you should ask your healthcare provider.
- Tell your healthcare provider about the medicines you take and about all of your health conditions.
- Do not use VENTOLIN HFA unless your healthcare provider has taught you how to use the inhaler and you understand how to use it correctly.
- Do not increase your dose or take extra doses of VENTOLIN HFA without first talking to your healthcare provider.
- Get medical help right away if VENTOLIN HFA no longer helps your symptoms (like wheezing and trouble breathing), if your symptoms get worse, or if you need to use your inhaler more often.
- While you are using VENTOLIN HFA, use other inhaled medicines and asthma medicines only as directed by your healthcare provider.
- VENTOLIN HFA can cause serious side effects, including:
- worsening trouble breathing, coughing, and wheezing (paradoxical bronchospasm). If this happens, stop using VENTOLIN HFA and call your healthcare provider or get emergency help right away. This is more likely to happen with your first use of a new canister of medicine.
- heart problems, including faster heart rate and higher blood pressure.
- possible death in people with asthma who use too much VENTOLIN HFA.
- serious allergic reactions. Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care if you get any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction:
- swelling of your face, mouth, and tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in laboratory blood values (sugar, potassium).
- Common side effects of VENTOLIN HFA include:
- sore throat
- upper respiratory tract infection, including viral infection
- muscle pain
- your heart feels like it is pounding or racing (palpitations)
- chest pain
- fast heart rate